A Definitive Guide to Stretch Ceiling Types, Styles, Shapes
Stretch Ceiling Types
Stretch ceilings are a versatile design element that can become an attractive focal point in your home by highlighting the interior design, and giving your space a clean and refreshing look. There are a variety of types, designs, and shapes. Stretch ceiling is great for any type of finish that you desire, from matte to high-gloss. Stretch ceiling specialists can also create any kind of design or shape you’re interested in displaying in your home, from forest scenes to artsy wave shapes.
A Breakdown of Stretch Ceilings & Ceiling Design Structure
Everyone wants a home that speaks to their taste. When you’re working to make your home improvement complete, but something feels missing, it may be your ceiling! Stretch ceilings give you the power to create a ceiling that is as creative as you want it to be. There are a number of benefits of installing it. Read on to learn more in our guide to all things stretch ceilings.
What are the Advantages & Disadvantages of Stretch Ceilings?
Stretch ceilings have many benefits that ceiling materials of the past are not able to compete with. There are both advantages and disadvantages of stretch ceilings. It seems that the pros outweigh the cons, but you can be the judge.
- Installation – one of the major benefits of stretch ceilings is the process of installation.
- Clean – installation of stretch ceilings is quick and doesn’t come with the issue of messy dust and debris that is inevitable with drywall.
- Creative – stretch ceilings have multiple options for designs, and finishes, and can be customized.
- Longevity – they are long-lasting, with a shelf life of 30 years with maintenance.
- Protective – the material is waterproof, protected from mold, and allergen-free.
- Modern – when you install stretch ceiling material, there are clean lines and smooth, even levels.
- Flexible – PVC stretch ceilings are also elastic, so there is no worry about peeling, cracking, or shrinkage later on.
- Temperature – too high or too low temperatures can be an issue.
- Penetrable – there is a possibility of damage due to punctures from sharp objects, but it is rare.
- Specialized process – to be installed stretch ceilings need specialists and unique tools.
This means they may cost more than your average ceiling material, initially. But once you calculate the cost of common ceilings, repair, and installation, the cost of traditional ceilings may add up to more in the long run.
Popular Stretch Ceiling Types
There are many types of stretch ceiling materials, from film to fabric. A widely used type of stretch ceiling is a fabric stretch ceiling. This type of ceiling is used to create a seamless design that is clean and modern. Fabric is durable, not susceptible to extreme temperatures, and breathable. This type of material can come with some issues, such as susceptibility to water damage, can absorb odours, and is costlier than PVC.
Another type is PVC or film. This ceiling material is great for creative designs, interesting colours, or unique finishes. PVC stretch ceilings are easily installed with no mess or odours. They also have a long shelf life, unlike traditional materials such as drywall, popcorn, or stucco. PVC is also resistant to water damage, mold, and other allergens. This ceiling material is a great low-cost option but it’s not without some disadvantages. Stretch ceilings made with PVC need specialized equipment with a professional installation. There is a possibility of damage if it is punctured with a sharp object, but it can be easily repaired. The last issue is that this PVC stretch ceiling material cannot be used in unheated areas; rooms below 5 degrees are not a viable option for this type of ceiling.
Different Stretch Ceiling Designs
If you’re considering a stretch ceiling for your home, you must also consider the type of design of the ceiling. This involves the structure and shape of the ceiling. Unlike drywall ceilings, stretch ceiling designs can be created to look more than a flat surface. A specialist can create a designer ceiling that is shaped to be an art piece. Let’s get into the different types of stretch ceilings a professional can create for your home.
- Waves – stretch ceilings can be shaped into wave-like structures that create a relaxing and creative atmosphere.
- Vaulted – these stretch ceilings can be used to create a height with a high-arched open ambiance.
- Bell – a bell or dome stretch ceiling can be made to create a beautiful focal point or conversation piece in your home.
- Tapered – a cone or pointed stretch ceiling can be used as a unique lighting display or one-of-a-kind decoration.
Sometimes all you need to make your home feel complete is an update to your ceiling. Stretch ceilings are a perfect option that makes no mess, offers easy installation, and come in creative designs. With AV Style as your design and installation expert, you can have a ceiling that meets your design wish list and more.
Please call (647) 812-1275 for information about stretch ceilings and their design. You may send us a message with any questions for our AV Style stretch ceiling specialists and book a free consultation.